I want to first say that there is a Holy God in Heaven! He is not only holy but He is pure, gracious, and He is full of love. God is the absolute definition of love and proved it by sending His only Son to die for the sin of mankind. He’s not only holy, pure, and love but He is Just and Truth. Our God showed by the removing of Lucifer when he kicked him like lightning out of Heaven how He handles dishonor and pride. He is not a weak God! He is a God to be loved but a God to be honored and feared (taken seriously).
Sin is an issue that every man and woman has dealt and deals with. We learn in God’s Word that because of Adam’s disobedience, sin entered into the world (Romans 5:12). Mankind has lived in a fallen world, a sinful world, a disobedient world since the sin of the first man. Realize that before the fall of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden was a place of purity. It was a place of no sickness, no pain, no struggle, and no sin. There weren’t even thorns and thistles on Earth to bring pain to man by the pricking of his finger (Genesis 3:18). Man was “naked” and knew it not because He was covered with the Glory of God (Genesis 2). When Adam and Eve sinned, we see that they took fig leaves to cover their nakedness because their disobedience lifted their covering (Genesis 3:7).
Jesus came to the Earth to pay the debt of sin. Sin separates us from God. Sin can quench and grieve the Holy Spirit in us. (1 Thess 5:19, Ephesians 4:30). Jesus has paid the sin debt with the offering of His life. You and I must come to Him in faith to be saved. Realize that because the sin debt is paid doesn’t mean that I’m automatically “saved”. I must acknowledge my sinful ways and come to Christ for redemption. For example, I can go pay for you a new car at the dealership but you don’t own the car until you go sign the papers and pick up the keys. Salvation has been paid for and now we must pick up our salvation.
Although the sin debt has been paid, sin is still taking place today. Again, because of sin, we live in a fallen/cursed world until the day that Christ will redeem all things (which will take place soon). You and I have battled the nature to sin before surrendering to Christ and will after we come to Christ. Paul writes in Galatians 5:17, “For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.” Every day we have the choice to sow to the spirit or the flesh (sin nature). There is a battle but surrender to Christ and living in the Spirit will cause us to overcome (Galatians 6:8).
Because Christ died for sin and paid for the sin debt does not mean that I can live however I desire. Because sin is paid for doesn’t mean that God accepts me the way that I am and I can live how I choose. We see that once saved, we can still “grieve” and “quench” the Spirit of God within us. This proves that my actions and lifestyle are to be holy and line up with God’s Truth and that my lifestyle can either please or grieve our Lord.
Grace is not a license we receive that says, “I asked Christ in my life or I was baptized, so now I God doesn’t care how I live.” No! Grace is actually the empowerment that God gives His children to overcome the sinful life and temptations of the enemy.
SO WHAT IS SIN?
- Sin according to Webster’s Dictionary is an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
- Sin according to the Bible is described as transgression of the law of God (1 John 3:4) and rebellion against God (Deuteronomy 9:7; Joshua 1:18).
- James 4:17 says “to know to do good (what is right) and do it not, is sin”
LIST OF SIN IN THE NEW TESTAMENT (These are just a few passages)
- Galatians 5:19-21, “Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- 1 Timothy 3, “unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers (gossips), Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
- Revelations 21:8, “8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death
Often, the Holy Spirit was speaking to believers in Christ about these sinful actions.
LET’S TACKLE THE ELEPHANT
I receive these questions quite often. “Does God and do you love homosexuals? Do you have friends that are homosexual? The answer to these questions is YES! Yes, God loves homosexuals. Yes, I do too. Yes, I have friends that are homosexual (co-workers, neighbors, people I’ve met in my life, etc)
I want to be very plain here:
Does God love homosexuals? Yes!
Is the homosexual lifestyle holy and acceptable before God? ..No!
Before anyone would get offended (which is not my heart), here are some scriptures in the Old and New Testaments that shares God’s heart on this lifestyle:
- Genesis 19:4-13, “4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter: 5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them (know means to have sexual relations with). 6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, 7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
- Leviticus 20:13, “13 If a man also lie with man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: “
- Leviticus 18:22, “Do not lie with a man as one would with a woman for this is detestable.”
New Testament Scriptures:
- Matthew 19:5, (Jesus’ Words) “And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
- Jesus makes it clear that a man is to be with a woman
- Romans 1:24-27, “24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, “9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
- Jude 1:7, “7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. (Sodom referring to the sexual perversion of the men having sexual relations with other men)
Ok, I’ve layed out just a few scriptures in the Old Testament and New that speak on this issue. There are more scriptures but for the sake of time you can study those on your own.
I want to reemphasize why I’m writing this… First, to bring truth to any question on this topic. Secondly, because of the LOVE I have for all people; saved or sinner, homosexual or heterosexual, men, women, youth, etc.
We live in a culture where to oppose this lifestyle with God’s Word is deemed to be a “Hater, bigot or prejudice”. This is the furthest thing from my heart! To speak on this subject is birthed from a place of LOVE not hate! I love people just as God loves ALL people! He loved us so much that He sent His Son Jesus to give us an opportunity to be saved and turn from our sin. It is LOVE that causes a preacher to stand up and share the Truth of God’s Word. It’s LOVE to stand in the face of criticism to bring those in error on any area of sin to the light to save their soul. It’s not an attack; it’s a revealing of truth from the Word of God birthed from a place of Godly Love. Thirdly, I write to clarify for believers, new Christians and a generation being raised with questions what God’s Word says on this topic ( I am responsible to do so as a minister of the Gospel)
The Prophet Isaiah was commanded by God to “Cry loud and spare not. Lift up your voice like a trumpet and show my people their sin.” This isn’t a popular thing to do (show people their sin and error) but its love and obedience to God that would cause this preacher to do so. Example: If my child was thinking he could drive and jump a cliff with his vehicle with no harm but that would obviously kill him; I’d do everything in my power to stop him, talk him out of it, or hide his keys! I wouldn’t care that he’d be upset with me. I would do everything in my power to show him and stop him from harming himself. I would know that I was saving his life and in time he would hopefully see that. I would hope that he’d recognize that love caused me to hide his keys (even when he didn’t appreciate it at the time). No difference here as we dive into this topic
Does God love homosexuals? Yes!
Does God love thieves? Yes!
Does God love adulterers? Yes!
Does God love liars? Yes!
Does God love those that aren’t perfect? Yes!
Does God love sinners? Yes!
Does God love everyone? Yes!
Are we to continue in sinful lifestyle? No!
Once saved can I do whatever and live however? No! Will He help us? Yes! Will we be perfect? No! Will we make mistakes or sin? Yes!
Recognize that sin is sin and we must repent (turn, change our thinking) and follow God’s Word. Recognize that we can’t live however we desire and say “God accepts me the way I am”. He loves us but His love doesn’t qualify us to be saved! I love my own kids but that doesn’t mean they do whatever they want with no consequences. Our surrender and turning to Christ qualifies us for eternal life!
Are people born certain ways whatever that may be? No & Yes. No, God doesn’t make a mistake when he creates a man or a woman. He never makes mistakes! Yes, WE ARE ALL BORN with a desire to sin! Not that God made us that way but it’s because of sin of Adam that produced sin and the nature to sin. Whether that’s stealing, lying, gossiping, being prideful, etc.. we ALL must accept Jesus and come under His authority and He will help us overcome sinful lifestyles with His grace.
I want to reemphasize that it’s the Godly love for people that cause a preacher or believer to declare Truth ( I recognize that there are haters out there with a motivation that’s not driven by love). I want to share that I strive to love everyone just as God loves every person. I want to help steer people from sinful ways of life, “there is a way that seems right to a man but the end is destruction” (Proverbs 14:12). We must line up with God’s Word for He is the Word. Jesus said, “I am the Way, Truth, and Life..”
The question for believers is this? Do you believe the Word of God? Will you obey His Word? Jesus said, “if you love me, you will obey my commandments.”
We have a choice to make? Follow Culture or Follow the Word. The Truth will either set us free or it will be a stumbling block. I don’t want to trip over Truth even if it hurts or causes me to change my thinking. God will never lead you down the wrong path!
Many say, “You can’t judge me!” I understand that statement realizing God knows all things and He is the ultimate Judge (which He will judge us according to His Word). Consider these scriptures and realize that believers and ministers of the Gospel have a spiritual obligation to speak out on topics and situations.
- 1 Corinthians 2:15, “But he that is spiritual judgeth all things…”
- 1 Corinthians 6:2, “Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world?”
- 1 Corinthians 6:3, “Know ye not that we shall judge angels? How much more things that pertain to this life?”
- John 7:24, “Judge not according to the appearance but judge righteous judgment.” (Jesus’ Words)
Everything I wrote in this blog is from the scriptures, mostly the New Testament! I’m not giving you my opinion, but what the Word teaches; for the truth shall set us free!
If you are dealing, struggling, or have questions about sin or sinful lifestyles; know that God loves you and He is reaching for your heart! This preacher is here with love to help you through any sin or struggle you may be dealing with. For we all need Jesus and He helps us all come in alignment with His heart and Word.
Church of Jesus Christ; let’s love with all of our hearts! Let’s care with all of our hearts! Let’s follow God and His Word with all of our hearts!
With all the love in my heart,